National Margarita Day at MEXIco, Derby

20:01

 

It seems like there’s always a ‘National Day Of…’ at the minute, don’t you think? In February, we apparently have National Wear Red Day (February 3rd), National Love Your Pet Day (February 20th), and National Polar Bear Day (February 27th).

It’s all getting a bit out of hand.

And yet… National Margarita Day is something I can definitely get on board with, so last week, my pal Hannah and I popped along to MEXIco – The True Taste in Derby’s Intu Centre to celebrate.

Chef Johnny Hernandez was on board to talk us through some authentic Mexican dishes, served up with margaritas and tequila, and as soon as we took a seat we were given a bowl of corn chips with salsa roja and salsa verde for dipping; the salsa roja had a great kick with chopped onion and jalapenos, whereas the salsa verde was cooler and smoother, with creamy avocado and coriander. All served up with a strawberry margarita!

 

The first dish we tried was the Chicken Tinga and Picadillo Beef Nachos.

Chicken Tinga is layers of pulled chicken with refried beans, Monterey Jack cheese, guacamole and grilled jalapenos. My personal favourite – the Picadillo Beef – had a slight smoky taste to it, and worked well with the big pile of guacamole.

 

We were given some neat tequila to try at this point whilst we waited for our next dish. I was designated driver for the evening, but Hannah assures me it had a great taste to it - she had one for me too!

 

Next up on the menu was the Prawn Ceviche. A fresh and zingy dish that went down an absolute treat, served with lots of fresh coriander, tomatoes and chopped onion. This was my personal favourite of the evening and something I'm so tempted to recreate at home. 

 

We were then served Pulled Pork Tostados; a crispy corn tortilla filled with Yucatan spiced pulled Pork, refried beans, pickled onions and Queso Fresco cheese, presented alongside a classic Margarita made with El Jimador Blanco tequila with a tamarind and chilli dusting on the rim of the glasses. For the driver, I had an elderflower and pomegranate mocktail tequila, which had a lovely zingy taste that sat well against the Mexican dishes.

 

 

The last dish of the evening as the stuffed roast pepper; a sweet and succulent dish that didn’t disappoint. The giant sweet pepper had been stuffed with minced beef and topped with Feta cheese; smothered in a gorgeous tomato sauce which had a little smoky spice to it. This dish was light, but filling – great if you’re looking for a pit stop lunch whilst shopping.

 

We were then given a chilli-infused margarita, and I just had to give this one a try. I only had a small sip (sensible driver!) but I’m not sure how I felt about it. I usually enjoy spicy drinks, but this one was a little too dry for me.

We finished our evening with sweet churros that I most certainly could make room for, even though I was fit to bursting at this point!

 

It was a great evening with some great company, and the perfect opportunity to try out some dishes that I may not necessarily have tried if I was ordering for dinner.

MEXIco is definitely worth a visit if you’re shopping at Intu or live in the city centre and fancy an authentic Mexican dinner. Check out their menu here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Top Trend: Pink

Pinterest

Subscribe